The interview is your chance to present the evidence of your ability to do the job. Preparing for the interview will ensure you make the most of this opportunity.
Enthusiasm is important
- Re-read the job description. Remind yourself why you are interested in this vacancy, and this employer.
Do your homework
- Ask your A2Z consultant to give you background information about the company.
- Go to the company website and read all about them! Print off information and highlight relevant and interesting facts and figures. If you don’t have access to the internet, ring up the company and ask for a company brochure.
- If you make it your business to learn about the company, it shows you are genuinely interested in working for them.
- Who is conducting the interview and what is their role?
- What format will the interview take?
Plan how to present your skills
- Know the job description and the responsibilities that go with the role.
- Know your own CV and work history inside out.
- Make notes on the points you want to emphasise during the interview which are particularly relevant to the job description.
- Try to anticipate the questions they will ask. Think about any awkward points that might be picked up, and how you will handle them.
Create a good impression
- Prepare some questions to ask the interviewer. Asking questions demonstrates that you are interested in the role.
- Find out how to get to the interview and how long it will take. You should plan to arrive 10 or 15 minutes early.
- For the interview, dress in attire that is suited to the environment.